There have been many notable entertainment duos through the years, and the way Tokyo Rose singer/guitarist Ryan Dominguez sees it, only TV’s Regis Philbin and Kelly Ripa is a better tandem than Fred Archambault and Mark Renk.
They’re the producers of the New Jersey-based band’s latest album, The Promise in Compromise, which was released last month via SideCho.
“This was our first venture working with more than one producer, and it was a terrific experience,” says Dominguez. “Mark really honed in on my strengths as a vocalist, and Fred really elicited our best performances musically.”
For The Promise in Compromise, Tokyo Rose made a point to, in the words of bassist Chris Poulsen, “cut all the excess baggage that we used to have in our songs.”
“We decided that we were going to be more honest with ourselves in our delivery of our music,” explains Dominguez. “We tried to curb our urges to experiment and write what came most naturally.”
A theme that runs throughout the album, Dominguez says, “centers around people we’ve encountered in our career who have made promises with little intent on keeping them, whether the relationships be personal- or business-oriented.”
When on the road, Dominguez and his band mates like to mix in some fun with their touring business — that is, finding time to visit amusement and water parks between shows.
“In the past year, we’ve stopped at Noah’s Ark in the Wisconsin Dells, and we made use of a day off at Kings Dominion near Richmond, Virginia,” he says. “We’re thrill-seekers to the bone.”
— By Chris M. Junior
Tokyo Rose on tour (schedule subject to change):
* Aug. 7: Greene Street — Greensboro, N.C.
* Aug. 8: Peppermint Beach Club — Virginia Beach, Va.
* Aug. 10: Harmony Grange — Wilmington, Del.
* Aug. 15: Verizon Wireless Amphitheater — Kansas City, Mo.
* Aug. 17: Idaho Center — Boise, Idaho
* Aug. 19: Gorge Amphitheater — Seattle
* Aug. 20: Columbia Meadows — Portland, Ore.
* Aug. 22: Selland Arena — Fresno, Calif.
* Aug. 23: Sleep Train Amphitheater — Sacramento
* Aug. 24: Coors Amphitheater — San Diego
* Aug. 25: Home Depot Center — Los Angeles