Songs about “current, happy love situations” don’t come to mind right away when talking about the Jennifer O’Connor catalog.
That might change in the near future.
O’Connor says she’s “super in love at the moment,” and the songs she plans to write while on and off the road this spring may reflect those feelings.
“I actually haven’t done a lot of that, so we’ll see how I fare,” she says. “I’ve written one of those so far that I really like.”
O’Connor plans to test out some of her material during her residency at Manhattan’s Living Room on Wednesdays in May.
“I knew I would be finishing up touring around then and wanted to have a forum to work on new songs and try them out at home, so this seemed like a good idea,” explains the New York-based singer/songwriter/guitarist. “The Living Room was suggested to me by my booking agent, [and it] seems like a particularly good room to do this sort of thing.”
As for a new album, which would be the follow-up to 2006’s Over the Mountain, Across the Valley and Back to the Stars (Matador), O’Connor plans to record during the summer, with a targeted release date of early 2008.
— By Chris M. Junior
Jennifer O’Connor on tour (schedule subject to change):
* April 5: Freight & Salvage Coffeehouse — Berkeley, Calif.
* April 6: Silverlake Lounge — Los Angeles
* April 7: Silent Movie Theater — Los Angeles
* April 8: The Independent — San Francisco
* April 10: Aladdin Theater — Portland, Ore.
* April 11: Triple Door — Seattle
* April 13: Neurolux — Boise, Idaho
* April 14: Meadowlark Bar — Denver
* April 15: The Waiting Room — Omaha, Neb.
* April 18: Rock and Roll Hotel — Washington, D.C.
* April 19: North Star Bar — Philadelphia
* Wednesdays in May: Living Room — New York